Tuesday, September 01, 2009

The Favor of God-Day 1 of 365 days

September 01, 2009
(Day 1 of 365-Getting closer to God)

Inspiration from other people, plus God's loving correction about areas you need to change, are good things! So, yes, I have been inspired both by God, AND some people portrayed in a movie (Julie/Julia) that I have already seen twice with my husband, Glen. This is the beginning of a spiritual journey of getting closer to God, not cooking even though some of my inspiration comes from a movie about two women who had a love of cooking. I like cooking, but I am a basic cook...one that cooks for family and friends...not for the pure love of cooking. The chef in my family is Glen, my husband and best friend. Perhaps, one day he will pursue a quest through some exotic cookbook. Until then, this blog shall remain free of food and recipes!

I need to get closer to God-I am a Christian who is filled with the Holy Spirit, and I want a closer relationship to my Father in Heaven, my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit who leads and guides me. This is not an easy thing to say, but I have a hard time finishing things I start that are long-term...short-term I can handle since those goals are over and done with in no time. So, I feel like this quest has been put in me by God, and my guideline for this journey of 365 days of blogging comes from the newest devotional book by Joyce Meyer, New Day-New You. Joyce Meyer is one of my role models of Christian women, as well as a great teacher of The Word of God. There will be other Christian devotional books used, in addition to this book, but this newest treasure will be my main guidebook for getting closer to God.

Also, I want to do a case study on how getting closer to God changes not only you spiritually, but outwardly for the good. I will post 5 photos of myself during this year-long journey, beginning with today (Sept., 01, 2009) and ending on the last day of this project (August 31, 2010). For my own benefit, I will post all 5 photos on the the last day of this project...not a day earlier...they will be time stamped with the day and year. You will just have to wait until this is over and done with. I am referring to the blogging portion...getting closer to God is, like I wrote earlier, a lifelong journey!

So, today's topic is about favor (p. 254) and is titled, Believe in the Favor of God. The two Scriptures for today are: Genesis 39:21 and Acts 10:34. First, Joyce Meyer talks about how the Lord was with Joseph. Joseph needed God's favor big time. At the writing of this verse, Joseph was in prison for something he didn't do. He had already been sold into slavery by his own brothers, now he was in prison, but the Lord's favor would elevate him in this dire situation to a place of great power and authority in the land of Egypt. This favor would eventually help him to save his own father and brothers during a time of famine, as well as restoring him to his family.
Acts recounts to us that God is no respecter of persons-He liberally gives His favor to anyone who seeks and pursues after Him.

I like what Joyce Meyer says...
"Favor is actually a part of grace. In the English New Testament, the word grace and the word favor are both translated from the same Greek word charis. So the grace of God is the favor of God. And the favor of God is the grace of God. . ."

I have seen God's favor operating in the lives of my children, my husband, family and friends, and yes, even myself. But it is harder for me to see that favor operating in my life. I am often believing that for others, and I see it very easily when it happens. When that favor from God begins to manifest for me, I often feel like I don't deserve it, or I am so busy working at earning God's favor that I can't enjoy it or accept when He blesses me with His favor. Ugh, what a mess!

So today, I am releasing my faith in the area of God's favor, and I choose this day to not be afraid to ask for His favor, and to enjoy and be thankful when it begins to manifest in my life!
I challenge you to release your faith, too! Day two tomorrow!

Love in Christ,
DeAnn

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home